Brightwood Elementary School - Renovation and New Additions
Location: 300 Nicholson Street, N.W., Washington, DC
Owner:The District of Columbia Department of General Services
Architect:Ehrenkrantz, Eckstut and Kuhn Architects, a Perkins Eastman Company
Contract Amount:$16.6 million
Date of Completion:01/08/2008
As part of a joint venture, Grunley modernized this existing 1928 historic school and built two new additions. At the existing school, we performed demolition and asbestos abatement, site improvements, significant reconfiguration of classroom space, MEP system upgrades and installation of fire/life safety systems. The first addition serves as the main entrance to the school and includes a two-story curtain wall, a lobby area with high-end finishes, a new administrative wing, a gymnasium, a cafeteria, and kitchen. The second addition added eight new classrooms. Work at the exterior included installation of geopier foundations, underground utilities, site paving, landscaping, asphalt paving and site furniture. Crews restored the wood gutters, painted the front of the existing school, and added a new bird-netting system.