Blair House - Renovation and Restoration
Location: Washington, DC
Owner:U.S. General Services Administration
Architect:Mendel, Mesick, Cohen, Waite & Hall
Contract Amount:$9.4 million
Date of Completion:03/01/1988
Grunley restored four structures which comprise Blair House, a National Historic Landmark built in 1824. Operated by the Office of the Chief of Protocol, U.S. Department of State, Blair House provides accommodations for visiting foreign delegations and office space for State Department protocol, security, facilities and curatorial representatives, as well as for the Blair House Restoration Fund. The project included the complete replacement of the mechanical and electrical systems and the installation of fire alarm and sprinkler systems. In addition, the project included the removal and replacement of standing seam copper roofing and slate roofing and the replacement of a built-in gutter. The project also included a complete historic restoration of all plaster walls, ceilings and cornices; repair and/or replacement of all heart-pine wood flooring; renovation and/or replacement of all wood windows and frames; and repair of all existing wood trims.